About Civic Literacy
Civic Literacy embodies the knowledge and skills that we need for effective participation in the community, government, and politics.
Civic Literacy: ISCV Publications and Discussion Guides
Civic Literacy: ISCV Publications
- NetActivism: How Citizens Use the Internet-
On September 24, 1996, O'Reilly and Associates released NetActivism: How Citizens Use the Internet", by ISCV
President Ed Schwartz. A step-by-step guide for citizens who want to use email and the World Wide Web as tools for political
empowerment, NetActivismalso sets forth the basic strategy for neighborhood empowerment that has guided the Institute over the past twenty years.
- On Teaching Democratic Ideals,, Ed Schwartz-- An article that discusses how to use civic values as a framework for examing political issues in America.
- The Case for Political Education, Ed Schwartz-An article that calls for a fundamental reconstruction of civic education in America.
Civic Literacy: ISCV Online Discussion Guides and Resources
- Civic Ideals and Modern Institutions-A study guide that examines how we can work to fulfill America's historic ideals through existing institutions.
- Building Community in the American Tradition
-A discussion guide for use by neighborhood leaders and activists that applies principles of the
Preamble to the Constitution to the problem of building community in America today.
- Social Contract Project Discussion Guide A discussion guide for neighborhood leaders and activists to develop social contracts with government and the private sector for broad-based neighborhood improvement.
- Social Contract Discussion Guide (Adobe Download)
- Youth Rap:Youth Civic Education Project ISCV project developing new courses, after-school programs, and a summer program helping young people address the neighborhood problems and issues that affect them.
- Welfare Reform The Institute's online resource guide exploring the issues related to welfare reform.
Civic and Political Education Online
K-12 Civic Education
Adult Civic and Political Education
Media, Telecommunications and Civic Literacy
Media and Civic Literacy
Telecommunications and Civic Literacy
Public Policy and Civic Literacy
Public Policy Issues
Liberal Journals and Public Policy Organizations
- The American Prospect (liberal policy journal)
- Mother Jones
- The Nation
Conservative Journals and Public Policy Organizations
Return to the ISCV Home Page